Thursday 24 January 2008

get a carpet

I found a good use for a large, thin carpet which I bought during one of my holiday travels. Sometimes during travels I tend to buy so many souvenirs that I end up storing them in boxes because I don't have enough space at my home to display them. Now I found a good use for this carpet. It is now my boardgame playing surface. I lay it down on the table, or on the floor, before I play my boardgames / card games. This is especially good for card games (like the Mystery Rummy series), or boardgames with lots of cards (like the Ticket To Ride series). If playing directly on the flat surface of the floor or the dining table, sometimes it can be difficult to pick cards up. It is also easier to damage the edges of the cards, because you'd be trying to use your finger nails to pick up the cards. Having a carpet underneath makes it much easier to pick cards up. I should have thought of this a long time ago. My copy of Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper is pretty worn out now. But I guess that is also contributed by having played it more than 200 times.

I don't use a carpet when playing Carcassonne though. Not that my carpet has a pattern that'll make you go blind if you use it when playing Carcassonne, just that it is not necessary.

Blue Moon. These cards are from the Khind race, a child-like race which fights in groups. These cards shown are a particularly strong combination, which I was lucky to get (two of them I was lucky to draw, and one I used a special power of a Leadership card to choose from the draw deck). They make your opponent's odd numbered characters, even numbered character cards, and even numbered support/booster cards zero!

Ticket To Ride Switzerland all set up to go.

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, a difficult to teach card game, and even more difficult to learn by yourself by reading the rules.

No comments: